THREE SESSIONS — TEN SPEAKERS
Join Us in Austin.
The program includes three sessions covering issues unique to the region, including innovative building skins, high performance facades, and the future face of Austin. These well-rounded, expert dialogues will inform and inspire.
The Facades+ conference series is a robust dialogue encompassing all things building skin—bridging the profession, industry, academia, operations, and ownership. We’ve distilled the best of the Facades+ 2-day event into a quick-take morning forum with a strong local flair. Facades+AM is coming to Austin for the first time this July.
Please join us for kick-off cocktails on Monday, July 13, 6:30 @ 77º Rooftop Bar. Click here to RSVP Sponsored by STI Firestop.
- AIA Members
- Architecture Students and Faculty
- Building Envelope Specialists
- Construction Professionals
- Materials Specialists
- Digital Design and Fabrication Frontiers
- Made in Texas: Collaboration between Architect and Engineer
- Austin’s Changing Skyline
The rapidly developing technology of high-performance facades has emerged as the key to building integration, and central to the realization of resilient buildings and a sustainable built environment. The building skin combines attributes of appearance and performance like nothing else in architecture. There is much to discuss. We invite you to join the conversation as we bring this forum to Austin, Texas for the first time ever.
- Michael Antenora
- Antenora Architects LLP
- Founding Principal
- Austin Co-Chair
1. Digital Design and Fabrication FrontiersBuilding facades have evolved throughout the years from empirically-based, load-bearing, mass masonry facades, to modern, lightweight and with an immeasurable variety of geometric and material configurations. But how do we efficiently analyze and engineer these complex geometries to balance technical performance requirements with aesthetics, constructability, and cost? Hear about new techniques for fabrication that are just hitting the market and what is coming on the horizon.
- Heath May
- HKS LINE
- Kory Bieg
- Anthony Birchler
- Vice President Engineering
- A. Zahner Company
Birchler leads Zahner’s design-engineering team. Since 1998, he has been responsible for designing many of the patented systems now used to complete bold architecture all over the world. He shares responsibility for developing two out of five patents held by Zahner, best known for the ongoing work that he put into developing the ZEPPSÂ® Technology, the firm’s dual-curvature building system. Birchler works directly with owners, engineers, architects, and general contractors, providing intelligent problem-solving for the production of complex facades.
2. Made in Texas: Collaboration between Architect and EngineerThe relationship between architect and engineer is an important one in the realization of brilliant projects. Our panelists will discuss this special relationship and their solutions to the unique opportunities and challenges of building in the culture and climate of Texas
- G. Charles Naeve
- Founding Principal
- Architectural Engineers
- Gordon B. Bingaman
- Associate Principal
- Antenora Architects LLP
- BIOGordon Bingaman is a Texas native, with Degrees in Architecture and Historic Preservation from Texas A&M. An Associate Principal with Antenora Architects, Bingaman’s 27 years in practice provide a firm foundation for his skills in Project Management. The scope of his professional experience includes planning, feasibility studies, design, documentation, and construction administration for a wide range of public and private clients.
- Ken Jones
- Miro Rivera Architects
3. Austin’s Changing SkylineAustin has rapidly gained a reputation as a forward-looking city, in part due to a vibrant approach to growth, density, and urbanization. Listen to four leading architects talk about their projects that have contributed the changing face and skyline of Austin as a truly global city.
- Brett Rhode
- Rhode Partners
- Heyden Black Walker
- Urban Planner
- Black & Vernooy
- Sinclair Black
- Arthur Andersson
- Andersson-Wise Architects
Join the dialogue!
Event Venue & Hotel
University of Texas at Austin Commons Learning Center10100 Burnet Road, Bldg. 137Austin, TX 75758512–471–5898
11601 Domain DriveAustin, TX 78758512–491–0777All reservations must be made by July 3, 2017.Special rate for The Architect’s Newspaper Facades+ attendees: $169/night plus tax & incidentals.Shuttle available to UT Austin Commons Conference Center nearby.
- Parking: Print and display the Parking Permit on your dashboard in order to park at UT Austin Commons Bldg. See map link for exact directions. Parking lot is directly in front of the Commons Bldg. Parking Map |Permit | Exhibitor Parking Pass
- Will I receive confirmation of my registration?
Yes, once we have processed your registration and payment, you will get an email confirmation detailing your registration.
- Do I need to bring my registration confirmation to the conference?
Yes, it’s always a good idea.
- What do I need to bring if I registered as a Student?
Bring a current student ID card with your photo and present it when checking in.
- When do I get my badge and/or event tickets?
Badges will be provided at check-in at the site on the day of the event.
- Detailed logistics and registration codes contact Yannick Lopez
- SET UP Day before: Monday, July 17th 3 – 6 pm –and/or– Early morning of Event: Tuesday, July 18th 6:30 am Doors open at 7:30 am
- SHIPPING Should arrive Thurs. 7/13 or Fri. 7/14.The Commons Learning Center 10100 Burnet Road Bldg. 137 Room 1.120B Austin, TX 78758
- Hotline: 512-471-5898
For attendee, programming, and sponsorship information, contact us below.
The Architect’s Newspaper
21 Murray St, 5th Fl.
New York, NY 10007
Upcoming Facades+ Conferences
Facades+AM Philadelphia — September 25, 2017 Registration Open
Facades+ Los Angeles — October 19+20, 2017
Facades+AM Seattle — December 8, 2017
Past Facades+ Conferences
Facades+ New York City — April 6+7, 2017
Facades+AM San Francisco — December 7, 2016
Facades+AM Kansas City — September 15, 2016
Facades+AM Boston — June 17, 2016
Facades+AM Washington DC — March 10, 2016
Facades+AM Seattle — December 4, 2015
Facades+AM Houston — June 18, 2015
Facades+AM Washington DC — March 5, 2015
Facades+AM Seattle — November 11, 2014